Monday, February 15, 2010

Map in process - with post-quake satellite images


I'm working on a map of relief efforts and logistics points for us and our partners, and while updating my Jimani Hospital location to match the GPS points I realized that the satellite imagery of Hispaniola has been updated.  I'm not sure if anyone who's viewing this can date this image more precisely - but based on the Gatr units and what look to be Blackhawk helicopters it'd have to be sometime later than 22 January.  Click on the image to see it full-size.

I believe you need the Google Earth Plugin to see the detailed imagery, but I have not tried this on a browser without the plugin, so I'm not sure.  If you can't see this recent, high-res view of Jimani in Google Maps, then you need the plugin.

Below is the map itself - please make updates for places that you know.  I'll ask the following in order to make sure the map stays useful:

1.) Please be as accurate as you can.  Use GPS coordinates if you have them, but at least zoom in to make sure any markers are placed where the location you're labeling actually is.  If you're placing an airport, please include the 3-letter IATA code if there is one (e.g. LAX, PAP).

2.) Try to use informative icons.  I've used the little yellow house for people we know and houses/orphanages, the red cross for medical facilities, airplanes for airports, etc.

3.) If you have info on places that should be added (either in Haiti/DR or in the States), but updating a Google map isn't for you, please please, feel free to email me the info you have or comment on this post and I'll add it for you.  I'd like to get either GPS coordinates or an address and bit of background on the site, but as long as I get sufficient data to find it at all, that's probably enough.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: Apparently just because a map is "public" doesn't mean anyone who wants to can modify it.  So if you'd like to make additions to the map, send your email address to haitifooddrive@gmail.com and I'll send you a collaboration invite.

Thanks for any help!
View Haiti Food Drive in a larger map
-----------------------------------------------------
Drop off your FOOD donation to HudsonAlpha
6900 Moquin Drive, Huntsville, AL, 35806
Make CHECKS PAYABLE TO TRINITY United Methodist Church
Times: 10am - 4pm Daily
Questions? Email haitifooddrive@gmail.com
------------------------------------------------------

1 comment:

Haiti Food Drive said...

Thanks to Brant for narrowing this Jimani image to 24 or 25 January.