Monday, February 22, 2010

Latest update from Harvest Field Ministries

Update from Brian Lloyd in Haiti.  News like this is why we're doing what we're doing instead of following the prevailing advice to donate money.  We know the work being done by large aid organizations is absolutely critical, but how do you respond when you realize that smart, capable, and caring folks like Brian and his friend Hippolite are having such a struggle to get United Nations food aid for their communities?

We're responding by sending the needed items straight to Brian and his partners in Haiti.  And the first load is on its way.  I won't pretend to understand the ins and outs of why there's such a struggle for outlying areas to get assistance, but it gives me pause.  And it makes me glad that we're dodging all these politics by sending Brian and our other partners the food and supplies they desperately need.  Most of all, your donations of rice, beans, and relief gear continue to make it all possible!

Brian's update below:



Planning on leaving tomorrow and this trip, like most, has flown by.  I was supposed to leave today but the seat I had in a plane was given to someone else.  Thankfully American Airlines is flying in and out of Port au Prince again (started yesterday) so I was able to get a flight out tomorrow (Monday).  The flights/travel are still so undependable I'm telling anyone who is even considering coming to Haiti for a week to plan on being in country for a week, plus or minus a couple of weeks.  Sounds like I'm being sarcastic, but really I'm not.

The last few days we've been primarily distributing rolls of plastic, heavy tarps, blankets, buckets, and hygiene items.  Some of these items we purchased and some were given to us from Samaritan's Purse.  From an accountability standpoint, it's been really nice being able to see the materials get directly into the hands that need it.  The pastors of the churches have done a great job at coordinating this and keeping things running smoothly at distributions.

We've continued to go to the UN meetings to learn how we can get food aid for the communities we serve but so far those meetings have been fruitless.

I want spend a minute to tell you about a friend of mine who is so valuable to me.  His name is Hippolite Fanfan (pronunced like eepoleet).  Hippolite grew up in one of the orphanages we work with.  He, his wife, and 4 month old little girl live in conditions that most would deem unlivable, yet he just constantly emits joy.  He is a guy that has helped us for years when we bring mission teams down, but since the quake, he has been like my right arm.  He is my GPS system (he knows how to get everywhere), he is my voice (because my creole is still just good enough to get me into trouble - he gets me out), and he is my muscle (he works like a mule).  More importantly he is my teacher.  He teaches me daily what real faith and generosity is (when I give him some food and I see him later privately giving it to some hungry children).  He teaches me about worship (as he sings creole hymns all day long in the truck and as he dances at church).  He teaches me what selfless prayer is (as I listen to him praying fervently not for himself, but for things like "blessings for my friends in America", "for the Haitian govt to love Jesus", and "for my brother Brian to have a good life").  Yes, that last one stings.  Attached is a photo of Hippolite.  I wish I could send you a sound clip of his laugh (which I'm lucky enough to get to hear many times each day) but for now a photo will have to do.  Will you do me a favor and take just a few minutes right now and pray for my good friend Hippolite, his wife Nadine, and his little girl Ladine?  Thanks for your prayers.

Keep praying,
Brian

-----------------------------------------------------
Drop off your FOOD donation to HudsonAlpha
6900 Moquin Drive, Huntsville, AL, 35806
Make CHECKS PAYABLE TO TRINITY United Methodist Church
Times: 10am - 4pm Daily
Questions? Email haitifooddrive@gmail.com
------------------------------------------------------

No comments: